It works by sending an email (or in the future maybe a text message) to tell you there's a message for you in RPV. You log in to read it. Exchanges are recorded as 'conversations'. So far so like Facebook.
There are a number of problems to work through to get this going:
- Should patients get a full list of all possible staff recipients (might be scores), or just a selected few addresses to send messages to?
- If a few, how do you choose them, and keep those lists up to date?
- Should staff recipients be individuals, or some kind of group address? Things to be said both ways.
- If individuals, how is it managed when they're away?
- Staff are concerned that it will ruin their lives.
- This is definitely creating something more than is currently held in Unit records. We've been cautious about doing that.